|JOHN J DUGGAN MIDDLE|
Welcome to John J Duggan Middle!
| Duggan Mission
The mission of the Springfield Public Schools is to provide the highest quality of education so that all of our students are empowered to realize their full potential and lead fulfilling lives as lifelong learners, responsible citizens and leaders in the 21st Century.
DMS students will be well prepared to succeed academically and socially in high school and beyond as evidenced by reaching proficiency on the MCAS in reading, writing, math, and science and by demonstrating proficiency in behaviors and habits of work consistent with the Duggan Way Character Values. We will do this through:
• Project-based, authentic learning expeditions focused around compelling topics and academic standards in social studies and science.
• The production of high quality student work and student writing.
• Additional instructional time in math centered around math problem-solving and math procedures.
• Rigorous, meaningful literacy experiences in both ELA classes and content area classes, with a particular focus around non-fiction reading and writing.
• Field experiences in the community that promote critical thinking about academic standards and service to others.
• Focused advisory experiences that teach social skills, goal-setting, and behaviors aligned with the Duggan Way character values -- responsibility, respect, compassion, quality, courage -- and are reported on quarterly on the Duggan Way report card.
• Structured, clear, consistent school-wide routines and discipline focused around educating students about successful behaviors that lead to academic achievement.